Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Wove and Mawwiage


Ken -n- Tresa--August 19, 1989

"Mawwiage. Mawwiage is what bwings us togethew today. Mawwiage, that bwessed awwangement, that dweam within a dweam. And wove, twue wove, wiww fowwow you fowevah and evah… So tweasuwe youw wove… "  --From the "Princess Bride"

Today's verse:  "The Lord God said, 'It is not good for the man to be alone. I will make a helper suitable for him'....For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and they will become one flesh."  Genesis 2:18, 24

Ken and I began dating 22 years ago today.
And 21 years ago today he got down on one knee and asked me to be his wife.
Every January 19th, my dear hubby and I, celebrate the beginning of our life together.

I look back and think we were so young.  Ken was 18, and I barely 19 when we met, and 20 at the time of our wedding.  I'm sure that the idea of their daughter getting married so young was a cause for concern in my parents minds.  Now that I'm a mother, and my children have hit their teenage years, I can understand that concern and fear so much better.  Dating and marriage could be just around the corner.

Though this is not a new request, I am praying for the marriages of my children.  I am praying for my daughter as she enters the dating years, that she stands by her values and finds a godly man to marry.  I am praying that my son learns to be a godly gentleman who loves and respects women, and finds a mate who follows Christ and will love and respect him in return.  With all my heart I hope that they both have marriages that are centered on Christ, will stand strong through all their trials, be full of love and joy, and remain steadfast in their covenant to one another. 

I'm so thankful that my husband loves the Lord, and lives his life serving Christ.  He's been so good to me, and was the mate God had in mind just for me.  I am a blessed woman.  We've now been married 20 years and 5 months!

I hope my children are just as lucky in their mate finds!

Heavenly Father, you made man and said that it was not good for him to be alone.  You designed the marriage relationship, and have made man to need woman, and woman to need man.  I know that you have plans for my children to find a spouse who will love and respect them, and who will be a beautiful part of their lives.  I'm beginning to pray now, even when they are young, for their future mates.  I pray that even now they are being taught about you, and are beginning to have a personal relationship with you as their Savior.  As they grow up and mature, and begin to date, I pray Lord, that you keep them sexually pure until marriage.  I pray that you begin to teach my children, and their future spouses, how to be loving and respectful marriage partners.  Lay a foundation for healthy marriages, and begin placing the desire in their hearts to live in committed marriages that will last a lifetime.  Lord, you are God, and you have a beautiful plan for my children's lives, including what their future families look like.  I'm so thankful that you are God, and have it all under your hand of protection.  Please continue to pursue my children, and their mates, into vital and vibrant relationships with you. I know that the answers to this prayer have already begun, and I look forward to you carrying it out to completion.  Marriage is a beautiful thing.  Thank you, Jesus, for mine!

No comments: