Tuesday, January 12, 2010

A Heart of Worship




Today's verse:  "Come, let us bow down in worship, let us kneel before the Lord our Maker; for he is our God and we are the people of his pasture, the flock under his care."  Psalm 95:6-7

I wonder if the people in the pews realize that I can see them while I lead worship from the pulpit on Sunday mornings?  I often can tell if someone likes what we are singing, or if they don't.  Sometimes I can even tell if they want to be in church or not, or if they are having a tough day.  I can see those distracted by reading, writing, or chatting with friends.  Or those distracted by those being distracting.  Actually, from the platform, I can see a lot.

I want church to become something my children enjoy.  At some point, I pray that they go to church not because they are made to go, but because they want to.  I want them to fall in love with worshiping God alongside other believers.  Maybe because I lead the music, I hope they meet Jesus when they sing during the worship service.  And even though their dad is the one preaching the message from God's Word, I pray they hear God speak to them, and get something out of the sermon that stretches their faith. 

One day, I pray, it will all become something my children want on their own.  I pray that they love being in the presence of God.

Maybe from the platform, I'll see worship in the eyes of my children.

Lord, I love you, and I love coming into your presence to worship you.  What joy I find worshiping you in the quiet of my home, but also when I stand with my church family and declare your praise.  I want that passion to spread to my children, and those in my church.  Lord, please pursue my children, and help their eyes to see how blessed their lives would be if they choose to live for you.  Lord, help make their faith their own, and not just because that is how they've grown up, or because that is what their parents believe.  Lord, I pray that they fall in love with you, and fall in love with spending time in worship.  May church become more than something that they "have to do", but something they cannot live without.  Lord, you are our Shepherd, and we are the flock under your care.  Today, my heart bows down and worships you.

No comments: