Sunday, January 3, 2010

Cower, Shower Power

Today's verse:  "I sought the Lord, and he answered me; he delivered me from all my fears."  Psalm 34:4

We all have fears.  Some of them are reasonable, yet some make no sense at all.  If used correctly, fear can help protect us from real harm, and cause us to make wise decisions.  However, more often than not, fear keeps us from experiencing all that God has in store for our lives.  Fear sometimes robs us of great things.

We sometimes laugh at Alyssa, because she has this "habit" that developed years ago out of a fear.  I honestly don't know what prompted her to be afraid, or even when it happened, but for years now whenever she walks into the bathroom she has to open the shower curtain.  I'm not sure why, except maybe to check and see if anyone is hiding in the shower.  No, we didn't ever let her watch the movie "Psycho", or frighten her by jumping out from behind the shower curtain when playing hide and seek.  It just seems to be one of those quirks.  An unreasonable fear that causes unreasonable actions.

My kids won't even go into the garage by themselves if it's dark.
Nor go up to the bonus when the lights are all off.
Fear.

I'm sure other fears will arise, and some of them won't be so unreasonable, but I'm guessing that at times these fears will keep them from following or doing what God has called them to do.  Fears will keep them from experiencing God's best, and living in peace and freedom that He desires for them.

We all have fears.  I'm just praying that God will deliver my kids from the unnecessary fears in their lives.  And in times of great anxiety, apprehension, or fear, they will turn to the God who will be their Protector, their Defender, and their Strength.

"For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline."  2 Timothy 1:7

Lord, you are the light of the world, and you dispel all darkness.  Please infiltrate my children's hearts and minds with your light, and dispel the darkness that brings them fear.  When they are afraid, dear Jesus, be their Protector, their Shepherd, their Guide.  Above all, be their hope and peace.  Where there is fear about their future, remind them that you are God and you have a plan.  Where there is fear about relationships, remind them that you are watching over them, and are the healer.  Protect my children Lord, from the enemy using their fears to keep them from all that you have planned for them.  Lord, dispel every fear and give my children your spirit of power.

1 comment:

My Crazy Beautiful Life said...

This just made me laugh!! Gloria does the shower curtain thing everytime she goes into the bathroom and I'm always telling her to close it when she's done! My pet peeves are open things like closet doors, cupboards and shower curtains!! I know I should let it go since she's been doing it for about 5 years, but just yesterday we had to go over it AGAIN!! Thanks for the smile!