Friday, January 15, 2010

Children of Compassion


Today's verse:  "This is what the Lord Almighty says: 'Administer true justice; show mercy and compassion to one another."  Zechariah 7:9


As I have watched the news over the last two days, my heart breaks for the people of Haiti.  Such devastation and lost.  Children without parents, and parents without children.  Death.  Pain.  Hunger.  Everywhere.

It feels like a world away, and I can hardly comprehend what these people are going through.  I sit in my home, with my children tucked safely in their beds, and I pray a prayer of thanksgiving.  At the same time, my heart cries to God for His comfort, relief, and hope to descend upon the people of this devastated country.  In what other ways can I help?

On the local news yesterday, I saw some teenagers in an area junior high, who felt a tug on their heart for these hurting people too.  The news anchor hinted that there were many students, in several different schools who were taking "offerings" to send to help in this huge recovery effort.  What compassionate hearts in our young people. Such a beautiful thing to behold.

If there were ever a time in our kids' lives to learn compassion, it could be now.  It may look different when we live so far away, but as they watch and listen to the news stories, may their hearts sense the tug to pray.

And when they see hurting, lonely, or poor people around them, I pray that their spirit is filled with the compassion and mercy of their God.  May they shine Him to those who are in desperate need of His precious presence.



Dear Jesus, my heart cries to you on behalf of the hurting people in Haiti.  Draw the living to you in this time for comfort, peace, and strength.  Heal the hurting, whether it be physically or emotionally, and provide for their needs in powerful ways.  Lord, show your compassion and mercy.  I pray that as my children watch and listen to the stories of loss, death, and fear, that they sense your spirit tugging at them to pray.  If there is something that we can do, besides pray, please show us how.  Here, in our safe world, we are not immune to hurt or loss either, and I pray that when my children cross paths with people going through hard things, that their hearts are moved to help and pray.  May compassion and mercy mark their lives, dear Jesus, forever and ever...shining you in all that they say and do, all of their days.  Lord, thank you for hearing my prayers.

No comments: