Thursday, November 26, 2009

A Truly Thankful Thursday

Today’s verse: “Come, let's shout praises to God, raise the roof for the Rock who saved us! Let's march into his presence singing praises, lifting the rafters with our hymns! And why? Because God is the best, High King over all the gods.” Psalm 95:1-5

I’ve had song running through my head the last couple of days. It’s an old hymn, but the words are perfect for this Thanksgiving Day.

Count your blessings, name them one by one,
Count your blessings, see what God hath done!

Count your blessings, name them one by one,

And it will surprise you what the Lord hath done.

(“Count Your Blessings” by Johnson Oatman, Jr., 1897)

There are so many blessings to count today. Each one a gift from God. Later today my stomach will be full of Thanksgiving, but for now my heart is full of thanksgiving!
  • 1 Dear husband.
  • 2 Precious children.
  • 3 Bedrooms in my lovely home…a warm place to lay our heads at night.
  • 4 Grandparents who love my kids, and who encourage and pray for us.
  • 5 Brandt family members…Tim, Christine, Daria, Caden & Luke all here for Thanksgiving.
That’s as creative as I can be (my mind keeps going to the dinner preparations that I should be starting…ha!), but the list of blessing still goes on.
  • A multitude of friends who bless my life.
  • A church family who supports us in abundant ways.
  • An extended family who lives far and wide, but non-the-less are an important part of our lives.
  • My family’s health.
  • Life-long memories this summer on our 12-week sabbatical from the church.
  • My husband’s job that provides for our family, but allows us to serve the Lord on a daily basis.
  • A Women’s Bible Study that helps me grow in my faith.
  • Faithful parents who come together each Sunday night to pray for our youth.
  • Passionate youth leaders in my kids lives.
  • God’s speaking to me.
And the best blessing of all…
  • God’s salvation, friendship, and deep love.
Counting my many blessings today, and trying to name them one by one!
Thank you, Lord, for the abundant gifts you’ve given me. So often, I forget to say thank you. My heart is full as I contemplate your part in my life, and the ways that you speak to me, reminding me of your love. Thank you for my family, for my home, and for the privilege it is to serve you in ministry. Thank you for my precious friends, and how they encourage me, love me, and walk with me on this journey of faith. Lord, my heart will be singing your praise each moment of this day, naming my blessings one by one.

No comments: