Friday, November 27, 2009

Sisters, Brothers and Peanut Butter Sandwiches

Today’s verse: “One man gives freely, yet gains even more; another withholds unduly, but comes to poverty. A generous man will prosper; he who refreshes others will himself be refreshed.” Proverbs 11:24-25

Helping one another doesn’t always come naturally. Especially when it comes to sisters and brothers. It goes against the grain of our selfish nature.

One of the most “tender” moments in my mind yesterday, as we celebrated Thanksgiving Day with my extended family, was when my niece Daria (age 10) made a peanut butter sandwich for her little brother Luke (age 6). No mother’s demand to help or anything. Maybe I didn’t hear the whole store unfold, but I was impressed that a sister would be so kind and helpful to her brother. A rarity without being told.

Thinking of another's need and being helpful, is being like Jesus. It’s showing love with action. It’s thinking of someone else first. Becoming like Christ to others. What rich lessons to learn for life.

Sisters and brothers don’t always think they love one another, but its in moments like these that I am reminded that the honest truth is…they really do love each other. I just want more of those kind of moments in my home.

Lord, I know that I’ve said it before, but I am thankful for my family. What joy it is to be together in one place for a few days. I thank you for my husband and children, for my parents, and my sister and her family. So much laughter and happy memories. I thank you for the beautiful picture I saw yesterday of a sister helping her brother. It’s a reminder that helping one another is a gift and joy, and is something that you call us to do out of love for one another. I pray that I (and my children) can be more like my niece, and help without being asked to, without expecting anything in return, and not because someone is demanding my help. I also pray that the gift of being helpful is evident in my children’s lives, even in regards to helping each other. Lord, help my children to be kind, to think of the other person first, and show love and compassion to one another. I pray that they find joy in their relationship as sister and brother, put aside their differences, and become friends for a lifetime. Oh, I will shout for joy, on the day I see them make a peanut butter sandwich for the other! Funny, I know, but I will give you praise!

No comments: