Sunday, November 29, 2009

God Guards...That's Just How He Is

Alyssa 1994

Today’s verse: “He guards the paths of the just and protects those who are faithful to him.” Proverbs 2:8 (NLT)

I remember Alyssa’s first day of kindergarten like it was yesterday. Dropping off my firstborn, and entrusting her to the care of someone I didn’t know for the afternoon, caused a small bit of apprehension. Would she be well cared for, and protected from all harms? What would she learn and experience? Would she choose good friends? Unlike all of the days of her life so far, I was loosing control of what happened in my daughter’s life. For three hours each day she would be on her own, and without me by her side.

As the years have gone on, and Alyssa has grown into a teenager, the times that we are apart have grown from three to seven hours each day, and sometimes even a week or more on different occasions. Before I know it, she will move from our home, and no longer be under our roof on a daily basis. With each step of growth in my daughter, my own grasp on her life lessens more and more. As I become less in her life, I pray that God becomes more.

I am learning to entrust my children to God’s care each and every day, believing that He guards their path and protects them from harm when I can no longer be near them. His eyes can see farther than mine will ever be able to, and His arms will protect them better than mine ever can. He is God, and I am not. He will watch over them today, just as He did yesterday, and will do tomorrow. That’s just how God is.

That’s just how God is.

Lord, guard the paths of my children, and protect them because they are faithful to you. Be near them each day, leading, guiding, and guarding them. Lead them down paths that lead directly to you, and towards the plans you have for their lives. Lord, watch over my dear children all the days of their lives. Teach me to continually entrust them to your care, and believe in my heart that you have your hands protecting them. Guard their hearts from anger, hurt, loneliness, bitterness, and unforgiveness. Guard their eyes from seeing things that aren’t from you. Guard their ears from hearing the enemy’s voice leading them away from you, Lord. Guard their hands from doing evil and hurting others. Lord, I entrust my children to your care, knowing that you will protect them in ways that I cannot. What a reassurance for this mother’s heart. I love you, Lord Jesus!

No comments: