Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Be Encouragers!

Today’s verse: “If you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from his love, if any fellowship with the Spirit, if any tenderness and compassion, then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and purpose.” Philippians 2:1-2

This world is full of encouragers, and discouragers. It’s the encouragers in our life that brighten our days, help us carry our loads, and give us reason to smile.

When my kids were babies, we didn’t live around grandparents, and so there was an older couple in our church who became surrogate grandparents to Alyssa and Kyle. They were great encouragers to us young parents. Every Monday night they watched our kids, whether we had plans or not. They showered them with love, time, and even gifts. A couple of weeks ago, the man who showered a grandpa kind-of-love on my babies, went home to be with the Lord. I pray they both knew what a blessing they were in that season of our lives.

"Grandpa" Cliff with Kyle & Alyssa 1997

Today, I find myself encouraged by a woman in our church who often speaks words of affirmation, thoughtfulness, and blessing to me. She is always showering our family with kindness, in ways that always surprise me and brings a smile to our faces. She uses her words to build up, and her actions to bless. What a gift she is in my life.

My prayer today is that my children grow up to BE encouragers to the people around them, and HAVE encouragers in their life who will bless them in powerful ways. I pray that they can be built-up by other people’s words and actions, in such a way that it draws them closer to the Lord, and meets their deepest needs for affirmation. I also pray that they be encouragers, and use the words of their mouth to bless rather than curse. May they help brighten other people’s days, help carry their loads, and give them a reason to smile. We all need encouragers in our lives.

Words, and actions, have a powerful impact on people’s lives, and our world needs more encouragers. Give God thanks for the encourager in your life, and ask Him to show you someone who needs your encouragement today. Go and shine Jesus!

Lord, thank you for the encouragers you’ve placed in my life, over and over again. I am always amazed by their thoughtfulness, and how it reaches the depths of my heart. When I need encouragement the most, you have placed someone in my life to remind me of your love. I see you shining in and through these people’s lives. Lord, place these kind of encouragers in my children’s lives as well. People who remind them that they are loved, friends who are with them when times are hard, and individuals who help them smile, bring them joy, and give light in their dark days. In turn, because you are living in their lives, and because they have received encouragement from others, help them to become strong encouragers that shine You. Help them to realize the power of their words and actions, to bless or to harm. I pray that Alyssa and Kyle grow hearts that thrive in encouraging others.

No comments: