Monday, November 23, 2009

Marked By God's Word

Today’s verse: “For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.” Hebrews 4:12

I love marking my Bible. I love making notes, underlining meaningful verses, and placing dates or people’s names on verses in order to remember hopes or promises I have for those individuals. I was able to share with someone recently a verse that I prayed for them, years ago, and have seen come to fruition in their life. God’s Word is precious, living and active!

When Kyle first got his new Bible, he’d follow me around asking for reference of some of the scriptures I had underlined in my Bible, so that he could underline them too. I gave him a few, thrilled that he was learning by example and wanted to make his Bible look like mine. After a few verses, however, I tried to explain that he will want to find his own verses to underline. I wanted him to go seeking for his own promises from God (though all of God’s promises are for each and every one of us!). There are so many treasures in God’s Word just for him! God wants to speak to Kyle, and to do a life changing work in him, through His Word. What joy that will be for him, and for me to watch!

Yesterday, I visited a church and the pastor said something that struck me. I’m not sure if it’s a quote from someone else, or cleverly created by this pastor for this particular sermon, but I liked it.

“You can mark your Bible, but more importantly,
let your Bible mark you.

--Pastor Jim at Crosspointe Baptist Church

I so want my children’s lives to be marked by the Words of God. I pray that they find words that are filled with abundant love, rich wisdom, and have the power to change their lives and draw them into a living and vibrant life in God. May they sense Him speaking to them each time they open His Word, and out of those intimate moments, I pray that they are gradually changed to look more like Him.

Lord, your Word is a beautiful treasure, and I am so thankful that I hear you speaking each time I open its pages. I’m thankful that it reminds me of the depths of your love for me, and this world. It speaks truth in my life, and fills the empty places. It is something that I hope I never take for granted. Lord, I pray that my kids fall in love with your Word, and find you speaking to them each time they open its precious pages. I pray that it is living and active in their lives, and it penetrates their soul and spirit. May it judge the thoughts and attitudes of their hearts, and lead them closer to you, and your desire for their lives. Lord, may your sweet Words, echo in their hearts and minds, and speak your love over them. What a precious gift that I pray we never take for granted. Your Word speaks, and may we be faithful to listen!

No comments: