Wednesday, November 25, 2009

A Cleaning Frenzy...Not!


Today’s verse: “I will sprinkle clean water on you, and you will be clean; I will cleanse you from all your impurities and from all your idols. I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit in you; I will remove from you your heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh.” Ezekiel 36:25-26

With Thanksgiving just around the corner, and guests arriving on our doorstep this evening, we are busily cleaning the house and making preparations for a feast of grand proportion. The kids "love" cleaning bathrooms, organizing their rooms, and running the vacuum. (I’ve often been in a state of wonderment when they exclaim such disgust for vacuuming the house. It seems to me that it’s one of the easiest jobs on the list! Hey, hand me the vacuum, and I’ll pass you the toilet brush.)

I think that as I’ve gotten older, I’ve become less and less stressed about the things that need cleaned before company arrives. Maybe I just know that after the first five minutes nobody notices, or cares, what is clean and what isn’t. So, I usually make sure the bathrooms are clean, and beyond that it’s all up to the time I have. I know my family is probably saying “yeah, right”, but it’s true. I just make sure I have time to do some of the other things!

One thought that crossed my mind today, however, is that if I am diligent about keeping things picked up and cleaned day-by-day, then when I have company come, the amount of things needing a deep make-over isn’t so great. If I let the toilets go, for weeks on end, then the job to clean them is much greater.

The same is true with our hearts and minds. If we are persistent on a daily basis to meet with Jesus, asking Him for forgiveness, and seeking His truth in our inner beings, then we won’t be overwhelmed by the overhaul that needs to happen in our lives when the need arises. Daily doing business with God, and allowing His Spirit to make us new and clean, makes the process a little less intimidating and overwhelming.

A clean heart is one that isn’t necessarily without sin, it’s just a heart that is forgiven by the Savior. A clean heart is one that reflects His presence, and transforming power, in our lives.

“And we, who with unveiled faces all reflect the Lord's glory, are being transformed into his likeness with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit.” 2 Cor. 3:18

Today we will finish cleaning the house, and I’ll also make sure to find time with God and ask that He “create in me a pure heart, and renew a steadfast spirit within me.” (Psalm 51:10) I’m hoping that neither job should be too big, because I’ve been keeping up, little by little. We’ll see as the day goes!

Lord, I’m so thankful that you’re in the business of making my heart clean, and giving me a new spirit. As I daily meet with you, please sweep out the things that get in the way of me reflecting you. I pray that I can teach my children that cleaning isn’t such a bad job, and that doing a little bit at a time makes the job seem less daunting…in their homes, and in their souls. Lord, daily create in us a clean heart, and renew in us a right spirit. May we reflect you, more and more, as we seek you for cleansing. How beautiful to be transformed into your likeness, one day at a time.

No comments: