Friday, November 6, 2009

Speaking to my Kids Loud and Clear!

Skillet 2009

Today’s verse: “Shout for joy to the Lord, all the earth. Worship the Lord with gladness; come before him with joyful songs…Enter his gates with thanksgiving and his courts with praise; give thanks to him and praise his name.” Psalm 100:1-2, 4

Last night I felt like a good parent. I also felt “old”, but a good parent nonetheless. Ken and I braved going to a Skillet concert with our kids and their friends. Partly it was in celebration of Kyle’s birthday, and partly it was because they love the music of Skillet and Hawk Nelson.

My one word to describe the concert was LOUD. The first two opening bands were ones that I hadn’t heard of before and were so loud that I think I went into shock. Ha! Can something be so loud that you can’t hear it? Who knows what they were singing about. The last two bands I was a bit more familiar with. I’ve had to become aware of them because that is what my kids love to listen to in the car. No more Casting Crowns, Point of Grace, and Phillips, Craig & Dean…yes, I’ve become old.

As I sat there last night, around a bunch of other “old” people enjoying the concert, my heart was moved to be thankful. These Christian bands are what my kids enjoy, and though I can’t understand a word they are saying, my kids can, and they are hearing a message of hope. God is in the music, whether I can understand it or not, and if this draws them to Christ and keeps them attracted to hanging with other believers, then I’m all for it!

Yes, I’ve become old (and I’m feeling it after a late night at the concert), but thanking God today that He’s continuing to reach out and speak to my kids. Loud and clear!

Lord, thank you for the reminder that you are seeking out a relationship with the youth of today, my kids included. Thank you for others that are living their lives for you, and spending their lives sharing your transforming possibilities to the lost world around them. Lord, you are in the business of changing lives, speaking to the hurts and needs that are so prevalent in your people, and showing your love in profound ways. Lord, I thank you for people who are your servants, and in their ministry are impacting my children’s lives for you. Sunday school teachers, youth leaders, camp counselors, friends…and even loud rock band kinda people…have been perfectly placed in my kids lives to draw them closer to you. So much to give you praise for! Lord, thank you for shining so brightly in other people that my kids can’t help but see you!

No comments: