Saturday, November 7, 2009

Craving Pure Spiritual Milk


Today’s verse: “Like newborn babies, crave pure spiritual milk, so that by it you may grow up in your salvation, now that you have tasted that the Lord is good.” 1 Peter 2:2-3

Oh man! I just went to pour myself a cup of coffee, and found the Peppermint Mocha creamer nearly empty. I am not a huge coffee drinker, but when I do I like it showered with something sweet. I’m out of luck today on having my coffee because my teenage daughter has decided she really likes my creamer too.

Alyssa likes to “doctor” all of her milk, which I guess is better than not drinking any milk at all, but how healthy is it really when it’s mixed with chocolate, strawberry, chai, or peppermint mocha creamer? Will she just ever crave the taste of ice-cold milk. There’s nothing better with a hot chocolate chip cookie, or with a piece of rich chocolate cake. Aaahhhhh, I can taste it now…the milk that is.

It’s a reminder to me today, to pray that my children crave pure spiritual milk. As babies, the milk that they drank provided them with all the nutrients they needed for growth, and for healthy lives. They didn’t require all the other yummy food. It wasn’t doctored with sweet foo-foo stuff. Similarly, their spiritual lives need the nutrients found only in God’s Word, in order to grow in the salvation they have received. The foo-foo stuff of Christian books, movies, music, and even teaching from others is good, but the pure spiritual milk is found in the moments we spend drinking in God’s Word.

Really taste and see that the Lord is good, my children! Crave the real stuff! Drink up His Word!

Lord, I have tasted and have seen that you are good! There is nothing in this world that is as satisfying to our deepest needs as you are. I pray that my children taste and see that you are good. I pray that they accept your gift of salvation, and live their lives nourishing their souls with what you can give. Lord, instill in them a craving for pure spiritual milk. May they hunger and thirst for righteousness. Your Word holds all the key nutrients they need for a healthy spiritual life, and I pray that they fall in love with devouring, digesting, and chewing over the precious spiritual milk you’ve given each of them. Lord, I pray that they always crave the good things you have to offer, and pass by the junk food that is so easily available and acceptable. Build in them the discernment to know what is best for their spiritual bodies. May they crave only You all the days of their lives, the real and pure spiritual milk!

No comments: