Monday, November 9, 2009

Monday Homework Blues

Today’s verse: “If you wait for perfect conditions, you will never get anything done.” Ecclesiastes 11:4 (LB)

Are there any other parents out there that hate homework? Or am I the only one? I had a friend recently who asked my why, and I wasn’t sure of the answer. Now, as we’ve gotten further into the school year, I am reminded clearly of why it makes me cringe.

My children have a tendency to procrastinate on getting their homework done. They wait until they are down to the wire, and then in a rush or panic, they try to get things done in a timely manner. Often with it comes impatience, frustration, irritability, and sometimes disrespect. It makes for fun times around our household. Sunday afternoon or evening are spent making a mad dash to finish all that is due for Monday. Thursday nights are marked by the rush of completing projects known about since the beginning of the week. All of a sudden the stress level jumps, and it makes for cranky kids, and cranky parents.

“If you want to make an easy job seem mighty hard,
just keep putting off doing it.”
~ Olin Miller

So, I pray that God either stops the madness of teachers giving homework, or cure my children of their procrastinating tendencies! Oh, what joy that would bring to this mother’s heart. Of course, maybe they learned the art of procrastination from their mother. I guess I’ll pray about that tomorrow.

Lord, this is the day that you have made, and I rejoice in it! Whether it holds homework or not, I will rejoice. You have designs for this day, and things that will be required of my children and I. I pray that we each will be faithful to do whatever we need to do in a timely manner. Help us to not put off the important things of this day, but be responsible to keep our commitments, do our work, and follow through to the best of our abilities. May we choose to do the hard things first, and enjoy the ease of the simpler jobs. After working hard, may we find your joy, peace, and even laughter together in the freedom of having the priorities completed. Lord, teach us to be about the important things first, and stop the madness of procrastination. Let us rejoice in each moment of this day!

No comments: