Tuesday, September 14, 2010

One Failure


Blessed is the man
       who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked
       or stand in the way of sinners
       or sit in the seat of mockers.
But his delight is in the law of the Lord,
       and on his law he meditates day and night. 
Psalm 1:1-2

There are some areas in which I feel like I have failed as a mother.  I'll just share one of those things with you today.  Maybe we can get into those other things at another time.  Maybe.

Here's the one failure I'm thinking about today:  I often thought about how great it would be to have family devotions with the kids, or write Bible verses and put them over their bedrooms or bathroom, or teach our children how to be disciplined at reading His Word each night before bed.  The years have just sped by and I have realized that I failed to impart this important habit into Alyssa and Kyle's life.  I didn't teach them enough. 

I want them to LOVE God's Word, and to find themselves delighting in what they find within it's pages.  I long for them to learn how to meditate on it day and night.  Oh what rich treasures they will find as they dig deep, and invest their time and effort in daily meeting with God.  

My hope is that at least they will learn something from my example.  I haven't been perfect, but I try, and I want to lead the way into a wonderful relationship with God and His Word.  I pray that they see in me a joy that comes after spending time with Him day by day.

Maybe, just maybe, God can take my failure, and still make something beautiful.  With Him all things are possible!  Amen.

Lord, teach Alyssa and Kyle to find delight in your law.  May they meditate on this law day and night. Remind them that man does not live on bread alone but on every word that comes from your mouth (Deuteronomy 8:3).  Your word is a lamp to their feet and a light for their path.  (Psalm119:105)  Whoever hears your word and believes you Lord, has eternal life and will not be condemned; crossing over from death to life (John 5:24)  Give them a hunger and thirst for your word, and knowing you deeper.  Help them to find all the treasures you have for them within it's pages, and meet you in a new and fresh way each time they open your book of life.  Thank you for speaking to us through your word, and for reminding your children of your deep, deep love.  What a precious gift.  May it become abundantly precious to Alyssa and Kyle.

No comments: