Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Head Held High

"My head is high, God, held high; I'm looking to you, God;
   No hangdog skulking for me
"  Psalm 25:1-2 (The Message)

Lyssa & Friends 1999

The mama bear comes out in me when I see either of my kids discouraged, defeated, or hurt by other people in their lives.  On the other hand, I do know that it is bound to happen.  So it's important that I teach Alyssa and Kyle whom they can run to when the world around them seems to kick them in the shins.

"No hangdog skulking" (ha!  I loved that phrase)  Look to God!

He alone will be their friend when they are alone, their comfort when they are sad, and their place of refuge and encouragement when they are discouraged or beaten down.

Hold your heads high, Lyss and Kyle!  Jesus loves you!


Lord, you alone know the hearts of all men (1 King 8:39).  You alone, O LORD, make us dwell in safety.  (Psalm 4:8) You are wooing Alyssa and Kyle from the jaws of distress, into a spacious place where they can find your comfort. (Job 36:16)  Lord, help our children to hang their heads high even when they've been wounded, scorned, lied to, or laughed at.  In those moments, remind them the truths of your Word, the hope of your presence,  and the depths of your love.  Strengthen Alyssa and Kyle, dear Jesus, when the world seems to knock them around.  For you will deliver them from all their troubles, and their eyes can look in triumph on their foes. (Psalm 54:7)

No comments: