Friday, September 10, 2010

Made to Do

"Do not neglect your gift...Be diligent in these matters; give yourself wholly to them, so that everyone may see your progress."  1 Timothy 4:14-15


I'm rereading one of my favorite books, "When Crickets Cry" by Charles Martin.  If you want to read a good book, I'd encourage you to pick it up.  As I read it, I came across a paragraph that made me think of my kids.
"People marvel at the genius of Mozart because he supposedly wrote "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star" at the age of three and composed his first first symphony at the age of twelve.  And yes, of course he was a genius, but another way to look at it is that he just discovered early what it was God made him to do.  That's all.  For some reason, God gave him a little extra, or a little something different, and Mozart found out what that was and then got a head start on using it.  Of course, he was brilliant, but that's not the point.  The point is he knew, and then he got to work.

I was no Mozart, and I had to work at it, but I never doubted what God made me to do..."  (When Crickets Cry, by Charles Martin, page 76)
What is it that God has made my children to do?  Oh, how I can't wait to see.  I'm sure they are getting nudges here and there from God.  Whatever it is, great or small, it's going to be perfect for them.  As long as they are following God's lead they will live in abundant joy and peace.

Watching God's plan unfold will be one of life's greatest pleasures. 

Lord, your plans for Alyssa and Kyle stand firm forever, the purposes of your heart through all generations (Psalm 33:11).  They are plans to prosper, and not to harm, plans to give them a hope and a future (Jeremiah 29:11).  In his heart a man plans his course, but you, Lord, determine his steps (Proverbs 16:9).  I'm in awe that you have gifted each of my children for something special and design their lives to serve you, reflect you, and love others.  Help them to recognize your purpose and leading in their lives, dear Jesus.  Follow Alyssa and Kyle all the days of their life, always speaking in their ear, "this is the way, walk in it."  (Isaiah 30:21).  Thank you, Lord, that there is something that they are made to do, and it will not be hidden from them.  God, you are so good!

No comments: