Monday, August 9, 2010

Dare to be Different

"We are aliens and strangers in your sight, as were all our forefathers."  1 Chronicles 29:15


This year our daughter talked us into planting red petunias.  I usually have a tendency to pick purple or pink.  So, red it was.  As I went through and was weeding through them the other day, I noticed something peculiar.  In and among the throngs of red, I found one lone purple flower.  Alone it stood,

I reminded me of something I want to pray for our kids:  Be different.  Stand out in the crowd.  Follow Christ, even when the world looks at you as odd, peculiar, and unpopular.  Choose to be who God made you, and the person He wants you to be. 

I dare you, children of mine, to be different.  Be the purple flowers in the sea of red.

Lord, you call us to be aliens and strangers in this world.  You dare us to be different.  I pray that for our children, dear Jesus.  Help Alyssa and Kyle to stand firm in what they know and believe of you, and in who you've called them to be.  Give them confidence to make decisions that please you, even when it goes against the crowd, or the thing everyone else is doing.  Holy Spirit, prompt their minds and nudge their feet to follow you in everything they say and do.  There will be times where they will need courage to be different from the world around them.  I know, dear Jesus, you will be right there beside them, leading them down the right paths.  It's a high calling to follow you, and a calling that will bring them much blessing.  Thank you, Father, for allowing us to be your children, and giving us the strength we need to stand out in this world.

No comments: