Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Be Careful Little Hands

"Do not steal or tell lies or cheat others."  Leviticus 19:11 (CEV)

 Lyss's hands...working in Mexico...2010

Every once in a while my mom likes to remind me of the time I stole a little treasure from the nearby store we had visited that day, and the heartache it brought her when she had to take me back to the store to confess my sin. I don't remember that event, except through her retelling of the horror.  But as a mom, I've experienced that dread, and the feeling in the pit of my stomach, as I've realized my own children's moment of weakness.  Those were hard lessons to go through, by golly.  The handfuls of coins, or the little toys, were never worth the relationship with the people whom the treasures truly belonged. 

You turn on the news, and you hear stories of teens and adults, who did not necessarily learn that lesson when they were young.  Greed, lust and envy take over, and cause poor choices.  Those choices can have huge ramifications in life...for the offender and the victim.

Oh, be careful little hands what you do!

Lord, mark our Alyssa and Kyle's lives with honesty, truth, and holiness.  Keep them from choosing to steal, lie and cheat.  When they are tempted by greed, remind them that you are the bread of life and the living water, that will fill every want and need in their hearts.  When they lust and envy others, move their spirits to long for you instead.  And when cheating seems to be the answer, may your Spirit prompt their minds to remain honest.  Lord, help our children to live trustworthy and honorable lives.  May they lives lives worthy of your calling, and that glorify you. 


No comments: