Friday, January 21, 2011

God is Bigger

"When I am afraid, I will trust in you." Psalm 56:3


Bedtime has always been a challenge in our house. Since the day Alyssa was born, it has been the hardest part of this mother's day. Now that my kids are 16 and 14, it's much easier, just much later. I think I'll be tired until they leave home.

One of our bedtime challenges had to do with the light...a nightlight would not do the trick. I'm not sure I ever came to realize what fear was driving Alyssa's need to always have a light on when she slept...the BIG light. Our neighbors were always concerned that she just stayed up all hours of the night. We would try to turn off her light as we headed to bed ourselves, but sometimes we would get "caught" and reprimanded, or Alyssa would wake up later and turn it on again. I'm assuming that light dispelled some fears.

Oddly enough, today she wants to sleep in complete darkness. I'm so glad she grew out of whatever fear was plaguing her back then.

Our lives are full of different fears. Some rational, and some not. My fear of mice is probably a bit irrational, but it's still a fear. I pray, that whatever the fear, my children will put their trust in God, and look to Him for peace and strength. He is bigger than any of their fears. He will be their light, in the darkness.

Veggietales says it best with this song...

God is bigger than the boogie man
He's bigger than Godzilla, or the monsters on TV
Oh, God is bigger than the boogie man
And He's watching out for you and me.


Lord, you are a big God. You are always present, You are faithful, and You love your children. Who better can we trust? Lord, help us to put our trust in you, and not be afraid. Help us to keep our eyes fixed on you, when other things cloud our vision. Lord, when my children find themselves fearful, help them to look to you for peace and strength. Help keep them from letting fears dictate their decisions, relationships with others, or their ability to do whatever you call them to do. I know you take some of our fears away, and others you help us face. Lord, I know that my children can do anything with you by their side. Be their strength, their hope, and their peace. Trust is built through relationship and time, so I pray that they press on to know you better and believe in you as God of their lives. Thank you, Lord, for being bigger than any boogie man!

No comments: