Monday, January 24, 2011

Dressed with Compassion

“God is gracious—it is he who makes things right, our most compassionate God. God takes the side of the helpless; when I was at the end of my rope, he saved me.” Psalm 116:5-6 (The Message)

Alyssa & Kyle...2005

"Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience."  Colossians 3:12

 Kyle (#12) and his friend Jake...2005

God is compassion, and breathes compassion, and He calls us, His children, to wardrobe ourselves with compassion as well. He lives to shower love on the unlovely, give hope to the hopeless, and mend the broken hearted.  And sometimes, he uses us.  Every day we have the opportunity to be His hands and feet. Our world is crying for compassion.

Give a listening ear.
Hug a friend.
Speak a word of encouragement.
Pray for a concern.
Donate to someone in need.

I pray that Alyssa and Kyle "wear Jesus on their sleeve", and shine compassion to those in their world.  Dressed in compassion for all to see.


Lord, you are a compassionate God. You are in the business of making things right, and taking the side of the helpless. Even when I was “at the end of my rope” you saved me. Our world is full of people who are at the end of their ropes, and need an abundance of compassion and mercy. Lord, as you live in me, and as you live in our children, may your compassion be evident in our words and actions. May we sense your heartbeat for the lost, the hurting, and the unlovely, and spread your mercy and compassion to those we meet. I pray that others see you living in us, as we become your hands and feet. Lord, compassion marks your life, may it mark ours as well.  Clothe us, dear Jesus, with you!

No comments: