Friday, October 29, 2010

The Thirsty

"I tell you the truth, anyone who gives you a cup of water in my name because you belong to Christ will certainly not lose his reward."  Mark 9:41


Yesterday was a very long day.  In fact, long doesn't even begin to describe it.  It was the second to last day of early voting, and that is where I've been working for the last three weeks.  1,200 + people came through the doors.  My job has been to greet those people, ask their name and address, and confirm that they are registered to vote.  If they aren't then I help them get registered.

I'll tell you what, talking to that many people is crazy exhausting.  And it doesn't help when you forget your handy dandy water bottle.  Ugh!  Parched is a good way to describe how I felt for a couple of hours.  I just kept longing for a break so I could run to the nearest drinking fountain.

In the midst of my struggle a lady came in to drop off her absentee ballot, and seemed very compassionate by how busy it seemed to be in the room.  She said to me, "I bet you could really use a drink of water!"  To which I replied, "Oh, how did you know?  A drink of water would be my saving grace at this moment!"  And she walked out the door.

Part of me wondered if the lady would come back with a nice cold bottle of water.  I even imagined what I would tell her, and what a BLESSING from God she would have been to me.  That would be a God-sighting if I ever saw it!

I think sometimes in life we come across a lot of people who are desperately thirsty and hungry for the Lord.  They even say things that let us know of their longing and need, yet often in our busyness or fear we simply gloss by what they have said with their words or actions.  How their life would be different if we could offer them the one "thing" that would fill their need.   Because you know what?!?!  We KNOW and have the "One and Only" that would truly satisfy.  Oh how our hearts need to be willing to step out in courage and faith and share the truth about the true Living Water!

This sweet lady never came back with that bottle of water.  Which honestly wasn't a surprise.  I was just a some stranger in her day.  It just gave me pause to think, and pray, that our kids (and even myself) will recognize the needs of those around them, physical or spiritual, and be willing to step out of their comfort zones and be bold in Jesus name!

There are so many who are thirsty!

Lord, open my eyes, and Alyssa and Kyle's eyes, to the hungry and thirsty people who live in our midst.  Even to those we barely pass by, strangers in our busyness, may we recognize their cry for something that we have the power to lead them to.  Help Alyssa and Kyle to be bold in sharing about you, dear Jesus, and helping others know you in an intimate and personal way.  Open their eyes, and prod their hearts, to recognize those around them that need a helping hand in finding you. Lord, fill them with your compassion and love for the lost and hurting of this world.  You are the true Living Water and Bread of Life!  For this we truly love you!

No comments: