Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Beauty and the Beast

"Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight."  1 Peter 3:4

 

"Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; 
but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised."  
 Proverbs 31:30


"He has made everything beautiful in its time."  
 Ecclesiastes 3:11 


"How lovely is your dwelling place, O LORD Almighty!" 
 Psalm 84:1
 

"And we, who with unveiled faces all reflect the Lord's glory, are being transformed into his likeness with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit."  
 2 Corinthians 3:18


"The king is enthralled by your beauty; honor him, 
for he is your lord."
Psalm 45:11 


" I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
       your works are wonderful, I know that full well."

Psalm 139:14

 As my daughter got into the car yesterday, after school, I said "Hey, Beautiful", and her response back to me was in the form of a grunt.  Anytime I compliment her, I get a a response that is similar.  She closes her eyes, she sticks out her tongue, or she does this cave-man like growl.   I think all women go through times when they feel insecure about how they look, and teenagers maybe even more so, leading them into a diet frenzy of some sort, or a poor self image that last forever. I hope that there is some part of Alyssa that relishes the compliments she gets from her mom and dad, and tucks them inside her heart for future reference.

I'm praying that Alyssa will not look to the world to size up her true beauty, but focus on the truth she can find in God's Word, and believe it in her heart.  I know He thinks she is beautiful!

And daughter of mine, so do I. 

Lord, I know that you are enthralled with Alyssa's beauty, inside and out.  You are her Creator, her Father, and her King, and you love her with an everlasting love that never fades. I pray, dear Jesus, that she doesn't look upon herself with contempt and disgust, but with a humble contentment and satisfaction, resting in the truth that she is fearfully and wonderfully made.  Protect her from the enemy who wants her to look down on herself, and live in doubt of who you have made her to be.  I pray that Alyssa is confident in the fact that you began a good work in her and you will carry it out to completion.  Your dwelling place is beautiful, Oh Lord.  May she believe it is so.

No comments: