Monday, March 8, 2010

Happy Mail!


Today's verse:  "An anxious heart weighs a man down, but a kind word cheers him up."  Proverbs 12:25

Yesterday, I received one of the most thoughtful letters that I have ever received.  It's amazing how just a few words can bless one's heart in such profound ways. 

How often do we let those kind words go unsaid?  We get busy and don't take the time, we don't think it's important, or we assume it's too late.

But it's never too late to say..
Thank you.
I love you.
I forgive you.
You blessed me.

As a kid, my parents were good at teaching me the importance of sending a "thank you" card, and at the time I probably him and hawed, but now as an adult I can appreciate these lessons.  Now, I'm trying to teach my kids how to do the same.  Sometimes they think it's "unneeded", but is anyone ever crabby that they've received a note of thanks, or an encouraging card?  I think not.  Kind words can sometimes bless one's heart in ways we may not ever understand. So, I pray that my kids become thoughtful like that.

Yesterday's note to me was "unneeded", but a rich, rich blessing.  Oh, how I love that kind of mail!  At our house, we call it "happy mail".  What joy there is when we head out to the mailbox and come back with something other than bills and junk.  Is there someone in your life that needs a little bit of happiness today? How about sending some "happy mail"?!

Lord, you are the great encourager, and you bless your children in beautiful way through your Words.  What a precious love-letter to your children.  Your encouragement and love, is tremendous example to us, to do the same.  With the encouragement we receive from you, we should go out an encourage others.  Maybe its with a card.  Maybe it's just a kind spoken word.  Lord, prod our hearts to shower others with thoughtfulness.  Kind words bless hearts in ways that we cannot fathom.  Lord, teach my children to be kind in all that they say and do.  When a "thank you" is needed, may they be prodded to respond.  When an "I love you" is on their hearts, may they be confident to share it.  Or when forgiveness is the important word of the day, may it flow easily from their lips.  Words can build up or tear down those around us.  Even our silence can do harm.  Lord, teach your children to speak love into other people's lives.  Be reflected, dear Jesus, in our encouragement to others.  Thank you, Lord, for the encouragement we receive from others in our lives.  Help us to be that kind of blessing to others too.

No comments: