Tuesday, March 16, 2010

The First Thing Out of Their Mouths

Mom & Lyss 2008

Today's verse:  "Don't be harsh or impatient with an older man. Talk to him as you would your own father, and to the younger men as your brothers. Reverently honor an older woman as you would your mother, and the younger women as sisters"  1 Timothy 5:1 (The Message)

Yesterday, I taxied Kyle to his regular orthodontist appointment. It's amazing how many miles a mom can put on her vehicle in any given day, shuttling the kids to and fro.  So, while I was waiting, I took a moment to pull out my book and do a little reading.  Aaaahhhh...and small moment of quiet.  Until...

A family with a little 5 year old boy entered the waiting room.  And with him came one of those hand-held electronic games.  Turned on loud, he began to play with great gusto, interrupting the nice peace and quiet.  Luckily his mom stepped in and told him to turn down the sound.  She repeated the request a couple of more times, without any result, when I finally saw the little boy look at his mom and stick his tongue out at her.  Not once, not twice, but three times.

Oh, as I watched that little moment unfold, I thought of many things I could write a blog about today...
Obedience.
Respect.
Or even parenting (The mother chose to ignore her son's disrespect.)

I think above all, the respect issue was what struck me the most.  I pray that my kids will always show respect to the people in their lives....family, friends, teachers, and authority figures.  There may be times when they feel like sticking out their tongues (don't we all have those moments?), but I pray that respect will always be the first thing out of their mouths.

Lord, it pleases you when your children speak words of respect, kindness, and thoughtfulness.  Our words can reflect your presence in our lives.  I pray that Alyssa and Kyle always choose to show respect to the people in their lives.  Even when they feel like sticking their tongues out in disgust, anger, or frustration, may they choose the harder and better thing, and respond with words that would come from your mouth.  Help them to speak words that are true, noble, right, pure, lovely, admirable and excellent or praiseworthy.  May your Spirit fill Alyssa and Kyle's heart, mind, and mouth, always reflecting you in their actions and words.  You are beautiful, Lord, and you make your children beautiful.  Oh, how we love you!

No comments: