Friday, March 26, 2010

Help, Please!

Who would go on a ride named "Wicked"?
Lagoon 2009

Today's verse:  "Let us discern for ourselves what is right; let us learn together what is good."  Job 34:4

Discernment in Scripture is the skill that enables us to differentiate. It is the ability to see issues clearly. We desperately need to cultivate this spiritual skill that will enable us to know right from wrong. We must be prepared to distinguish light from darkness, truth from error, best from better, righteousness from unrighteousness, purity from defilement, and principles from pragmatics. 
(J. Stowell, Fan The Flame, Moody, 1986, p. 44.)

Daily our children are put in places and situations where they need a God-given discernment.  I don't have any "story" to go along with this prayer this morning, nor anything that sparked my need to write about this.  Only that I'm not too old to remember what it was like to be a teenager, and the things they face on a day by day basis, where they will have to choose right from wrong, or truth from a lie.

And beyond that, doesn't parenting require discernment every day?  I don't know about you, but I know that I do.  Sometimes even moment by moment.  Parenting is a job that I cannot successfully accomplish on my own accord.  It's just way too hard.  Lord, grant me Your discernment today!

Lord, I rejoice in you today.  You are my God, and I desire your overwhelming and fulfilling presence in my life.  Fill me with your discernment and wisdom daily, so that I always live right in the center of your will for my life.  As I parent, may I always lean on you for understanding, guidance, and leading.  Even beyond myself, Lord, I pray that you interrupt my childrens' thoughts, and fill them with your wisdom and discernment.  Help them to always discern right from wrong, light from dark, truth from a lie, and your Spirit from the evil in this world.  Lord, let their eyes see through the lenses of your truth and light.  You long for your children to humble themselves and seek your face, and turn from their wicked ways.  May it be so with us. 

No comments: