Friday, March 19, 2010

Secrets



Today's verse:  "But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you...But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you."  Matthew 6:3-4,6

Recently I was cleaning the kitchen from top to bottom.  The kind of cleaning that requires getting down on your hands and knees and taking inventory of every nook and cranny.  In the process I came across a sight to behold.,  I'm wishing now that I had taken a picture, so I could show you proof, and have a really cool image to go along with my blog today.  Darn it.  Anyway, as I was wiping down the cupboards, and around the "island" of my kitchen, I happened upon a secret stash of fruit stickers hiding underneath the lip of the counter top.  Someone had a pretty good collection going under there.  Well, they did...
 
I have a pretty good culprit in mind, and I'm sure he's going to be sorely disappointed when he finds his secret collection absent the next time he has a deposit to make.  Poor, poor sticker collection.

There are a lot of things our kids can do in secret.  Sometimes that's a scary thought to a mom.  When those things are wrong, I pray that they get caught, and learn their lessons well.  Oooooh baby.  But what I really hope for more than that?  I hope that they are having a deep, meaningful, life-changing and personal relationships with Christ...praying and reading their Bibles.  I pray that, without my awareness, they are showing compassion and kindness to others, and giving to others in need.  God rewards thing things we do for Him, especially when we aren't seeking the applaud of others, and when it's what we do in secret...when it's just between me and God.

Now that's a secret that this mom can smile at.

Oh Lord, there are no secrets between you and I.  You know everything about me, and you love me anyway.  Nothing remains hidden from you.  So, in the quietness of my heart, recognize my desire to seek after you, and always live according to your will for my life.  I pray these things for my children as well.  I pray for the things they choose to do in secret.  Lord, protect them from harm, and direct them to always make wise choices.  Prompt their hearts to do what is right and follow you.  Instill in them the desire and hunger to meet you in the quiet places of their thoughts.  Fill them with an urge to speak to you as one speaks to a friend.  Move them to show compassion and kindness, and give of out of their hearts, to the world around them that need to see you.  I pray, Lord, that they never give out of a need to be recognized or appreciated, but they give out of their love for you and the people around them.  May their "secrets" always be ones that glorify you.

No comments: