Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Shining Beautiful Confidence

 

Today's verse:  "For this reason I remind you to fan into flame the gift of God, which is in you through the laying on of my hands. For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline.  So do not be ashamed to testify about our Lord..."  2 Timothy 1:6-8

I loved watching my daughter yesterday.  She shined in beautiful ways.  Not that she isn't beautiful ALL the time, but yesterday I saw a new side of her.

Alyssa was a painfully shy little girl.  It once took her great effort to speak to people she didn't know.  On the first day of school her kindergarten teacher assured me that it would only take a few days for her to warm up and be willing to talk.  Come the last day of school, Mrs. Garner shrugged her shoulders and said with a smile, "Well, Alyssa never would talk to me, but she was an awfully good student and I loved having her in my class."  Oh the stories we have of our shy Alyssa.

But yesterday my shy little Alyssa stood in front of our church congregation, and gave the morning's announcements and shared about her upcoming missions trip to Mexico.  At first, she seemed a bit off kilter, and nervous, but soon the jitters were gone and I saw a calm confidence come over her, and she blossomed!  She added humor, spoke clearly, and just seemed at home with talking in public.

She shined in beautiful ways, and I couldn't have been more proud!  God has removed her spirit of timidity and replaced it with His spirit of power. 

Oh, how I love watching God at work in my kids lives!

Lord, you are in the business of changing lives, and transforming your children.  I'm so thankful that you don't leave us in such pitiful states.  You urge us to turn in our spirit of timidity, and live out our lives with your power.  You give us all that we need to be successful in life, and in the moments where we dwell in fear, you want to come in and give us the power to overcome and even thrive.  We cannot live our life without you, dear Jesus.  Fill my children with confidence, belief in themselves, and hope in you, God, knowing that you will give them all that they need to succeed.  May they always look to you when they feel inadequate and fearful, and put their full trust in the God who makes all things new.  Our confidence grows as we live out our lives according to your plan, and in the knowledge that you will always walk beside us.  Lord, may Alyssa and Kyle always shine with a confidence that comes from living with you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wish I could have been there. Love hearing about it. Thanks for the post.

LOVE YOU ALL

mom