Sunday, March 7, 2010

Take the Plunge

 

Today's verse:  "Be strong and very courageous. Be careful to obey all the law my servant Moses gave you; do not turn from it to the right or to the left, that you may be successful wherever you go."  Joshua 1:7

Last night, our family watched the movie "Super Size Me".  Oh my.  I think that we all have a different outlook on McDonald's now.

McDonald's is a favorite among my kids.  Probably 10 years ago, it became a Tuesday night tradition to go and get Happy Meals since it is half-off night.  At the time we began this ritual, Ken was busy on Tuesday nights with a Bible study group, and so it was a great way for the kids and I to do dinner.  Now, I'm thinking it wasn't the greatest of traditions to start.  We sure had some good times though.

When Kyle was about 2 years old we had a brand new McDonalds come into town.  When deciding which McDonald's we would go to, they kids would either yell "the new McDonald's" or "the old McDonald's."  We'd go back and forth, but Kyle's favorite was the new one because it had a huge Play-land to climb in.  However, at the age of 2, he'd excitedly rush to the top, and then be too afraid to take one of the slides down, or come back the way he had gone up.  There was nothing more frustrating than watching him break down in tears, wanting help down, and the idea that I may have to haul my mom-size body through the kid-size Play-land.  I can remember working really hard to convince him to come down, so I wouldn't have to go up.

It was not a pretty sight, but I did climb up into that Play-land a time or two.  Kyle's fear was just too great, and stifled his ability to descend.  I was sure glad when he grew out of that particular fear.

Fear is good at times and can protect us from things that could potentially cause us harm.  However, more often than not, fear keeps us from experiencing good things.  Sometimes God has great things planned for our life, yet fear stops us in our tracks, and we miss out on the good, the best, and the extraordinary possibilities of being in His will.

Kyle missed out on the joy of coming down the slide.  You could say that he even missed out on the great sense of accomplishment that would have come by conquering the Play-land all by himself.  Sure, at two, it's wasn't that big of deal, but it's a good reminder for tomorrow.  Because tomorrow God may ask Kyle to follow Him to worlds unknown, and I pray that he's willing to take the plunge.

Lord, you are our strength and our hope.  You have wonderful things planned for our life, if we are willing to trust and obey.  I pray, Lord, that you help my children to be strong and courageous, no matter what their life holds. I pray that they are careful to obey you; and do not turn from it, so that they may be successful wherever they go.  I can't wait to see the plans you have for Alyssa and Kyle, because I know that it will be awesome, as long as they follow your lead.  Replace all their fears, with a deep confidence in you and your plan.  Lord, I give you praise in advance, for the wonderful places you take my dear children.  I love you, Lord, and trust in you fully.

No comments: