Monday, March 14, 2011

Wanna Know a Secret?

"The Lord your God is with you,
   he is mighty to save.
He will take great delight in you,
   he will quiet you with his love,
   he will rejoice over you with singing.”
--Zephaniah 3:17

 A Father's Love...Dad and Lyss...1994

A father's love is precious...especially the love of our Heavenly Father.  I pray that my kids grasp how wide and long and high and deep His love really is for them.

Kyle and I used to have a little game we'd play.  I would grab his little attention by asking the question, "Wanna know a secret?"  With big eyes he'd say "What?"  I would always respond with a big "I love you!"

When he was little, it always made him smile, but as he grew older and caught on to the question, he wasn't so impressed.  With a roll of the eyes, he began to respond with a "I already know." 

One day, I said "Okay, if you already know my secret, what is it?"  I smile ever time I recall what he said next.

Looking proud at knowing the secret, he said, "I love you!" 

"You love me?!?  Oh, Kyle, I love you too!"

We both laughed at the turn around that happened in our conversation.  Now, that he's 14 he doesn't think the game is so impressive (ha!), but I'll tell you what, he knows the secret!

May Alyssa and Kyle always "know the secret" of their Father's love for them.

Lord, show Alyssa and Kyle the wonders of your great love, and may they begin to grasp how wide and long and high and deep your love is.  It is not a secret that you love your children.  On what a wonderful truth!  Your Word says that you love them so much that you gave your one and only son, so that they may spend eternity with you.  Help them to believe this real truth, dear Jesus. I pray that Alyssa and Kyle never live in the fear that they are not good enough to be accepted and loved by you, but always rest in the security of being your child.  I also pray that they never look at themselves with self-hatred, loathing, and feel unlovely, but will always relish that you are enthralled with who they are, inside and out.  You are God, and your love abounds to a thousand generations.

No comments: