Monday, February 22, 2010

Spirit of Truth

Today's verse:  "But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all truth."  John 16:13

And they're off! Another week begins; classes, lectures, assignments, projects, tests and quizzes.   I'm praying that my kids find great joy in learning.  There's so much to intake and soak up. 

One night last week as we were watching the Olympics, Alyssa happened to notice a progression of apes on one of the athlete's helmet, and wondered why someone would have a symbol of evolution on his head.  Though I didn't know the answer to that question, it began a conversation with my kids about what they've been taught in school in regards to creation and evolution.  I was reminded that my kids are being passed information and opinions all the the time...as they sit in a classroom, watch television, chat with their friends, and go to church.  Opinions that sometimes scare me.

Not everything that my children will be taught in school will be truth, and unfortunately not everything they will even be taught at church will be truth.  I worry often, as I teach Women's Bible Study, if I give an accurate picture of God and speak truth about who He is.  Fortunately, we have a God who wants to guide His children towards His Truth.  He bestows upon us His Spirit to help us sift through everything being thrown in our direction, helping us to pick-up and hold onto what's truth. 

I'm so thankful that includes my children.  Seek the truth always, dear ones.  Be aware of God's Spirit guiding you day by day!

Lord, you are the Spirit of truth, and I know that you will guide my children into all truth.  Even today, dear Jesus, help them decipher between what's right or wrong, truth or false, of You or from the enemy.  As they are out in the world, help them to be shrewd as snakes and innocent as doves.  Help make their eyes able to see what's your truth in everything they are taught.  Help make their ears recognize your Spirit guiding and leading them every day.  You are truth, precious Lord, and I give you thanks.

No comments: