Saturday, February 6, 2010

Real Swinging


Today's verse:  Many of the Samaritans from that town believed in him because of the woman's testimony, "He told me everything I ever did." So when the Samaritans came to him, they urged him to stay with them, and he stayed two days. And because of his words many more became believers.  They said to the woman, "We no longer believe just because of what you said; now we have heard for ourselves, and we know that this man really is the Savior of the world." John 4:39-42

I have these verses marked in my Bible with a couple names of people in my life.  I have put their names there believing in prayer that one day these friends will say "We no longer believe just because of what you said" but they believe because they have experienced Him for themselves.  I don't want them just to take my word for it, but through their own examination and experience, they find Jesus to be a real and powerful presence in their lives.

I pray the same thing for my children.  I want them to find the truth of who God is, and His love for them, by experiencing Him in a personal way.

It's hard  describe the joy that comes from flying high through the air on a swing, in an adequate way, to someone who has never been on a swing before.  It's hard to explain why a smile comes over ones face as you reach great heights, the laughter that comes when someone gives you a push, or the peace of gliding back and forth, over and over brings.  A person can only begin to enjoy a swing, by actually experiencing the act of swinging for themselves.

I can lead my children to Jesus, and teach them all about the God I know, but until they experience Him for themselves, and see His work in their lives, will they really KNOW the joy, truth and power of His presence in their lives. If I can go this far...I'm praying they go swinging with Jesus, and feel the thrill of the ride each and every day.

Lord, you are such a precious joy in my life, and someone I want my children to fall in love with too.  I want them to know the power of your presence, the gift of your salvation, and the depths of your love for your children, which includes each of them. Lord, I pray that they see you in their daily lives; pursuing them, guiding them, loving them, and providing for them.  Open their eyes and soften their hearts, in ways that draw them closer to you and help them see their need for you in their lives.   Oh how I pray that one day I hear my kids say "We no longer believe just because of what you said; now we have heard for ourselves, and we know that this man really is the Savior of the world."

No comments: