Monday, February 15, 2010

Be the Best Friend

 
Alyssa & Dani--Midwinter 2009

Today's verse:  "If one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up!"  Ecclesiastes 4:10

Friends can bring great joy,
and deep heartache.
Sometimes even in the same day.

Just yesterday, I watched that story unfold in my daughter's life.
Deep and life giving laughter one moment.
Uncontrollable tears the next.

Hurt came easily.
Words even sharp and too honest at times.
But a willingness to work through the pain.
Talking and listening.
Both important to the mending.

Friends give life and meaning to who we are.
Friends give encouragement to strive beyond our doubts and fears.
Friends give light to our dark days.

To have a friend like that is priceless.
To be a friend like that takes sacrifice and effort,
but blesses two.
You and
Your friend.

So love deeply, dear children.
Give abundantly.
Forgive always.
Laugh hard.
Comfort the tears.
Accept the differences.
Enjoy the similarities.Be the best.

And rejoice in such a beautiful gift!

Lord, thank you for the friends you have enriched my life with.  Friends can bring such joy and pleasure in our lives.  I pray that my children find friends in their lives that spur them on in their lives.  Friends that encourage them when they are down, forgive them when they are wrong, and love them even when they are unlovely.  Above all, however, I pray that my kids learn to be that kind of friend.  I pray that they love deeply, forgive easily, and give abundantly to the friends in their lives.  Friendship takes work, and I pray that they are willing to do the hard work of being a good friend.  May they shine you, dear Jesus, in their friendships, and lead others towards you.  When their friends need guidance, may my kids lead them to your Word.  When they need hope, may my kids lead them to prayer.  And when there is hurt, and forgiveness comes hard, may they look to you for strength.  Friendships enrich our lives, but to have a good friend, they need to be a good friend.  Help them, Lord, to be a good friend.

No comments: