Saturday, December 19, 2009

The Only Choice

Today's verse: "But if you refuse to serve the Lord, then choose today whom you will serve. Would you prefer the gods your ancestors served beyond the Euphrates? Or will it be the gods of the Amorites in whose land you now live? But as for me and my family, we will serve the Lord.” Joshua 24:15 (NLT)

Salvation Saturday is here once again. My greatest prayer is that my children fall in love with Jesus and live their lives for Him. Above all the other prayers I have for them, this one far outweighs them all. That's why it gets its own special day on my blog.

Yesterday, we had to run to a nearby store in order for Alyssa to pick out a $5.00 white elephant gift for a Christmas party she was going to. I was soon brought back to memories of what it used to be like when I would give her a dollar and take her to the Dollar Store and let her have free reign on picking an item of her choice. Who knew that one dollar could cause so much agony and challenge her ability to make decisions? It was a mother's nightmare...then and now.

It gives me pause to think that if she has troubles making decisions in the Dollar Store, will she go through such indecisiveness when it comes to who and what she believes in? There is a smorgasbord of religions out there, and though her parents have chosen to believe in God, she is going to have to figure out for herself whom she is going to follow herself. (And if you know anything about teenage daughters and shopping with their mothers, it's that they often choose the total opposite thing that their mother would choose. Ha! So, praying this is different!)

My prayer is that this will be one thing that won't take much contemplation, and trial and error, to figure out that this is the best (and only) choice to invest her life in.

Jesus said, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." (John 14:6)

May the choice be an easy one!

Oh yeah, after leaving the store last night with the elephant gift that caused so much agony, we found out she needs another one for tomorrow. Oh my.

Lord, you know the cry of my heart, and the prayer that I have for my children. I long for my children to find the decision to follow you, the easiest and smartest decision of their lives. I want them to contemplate, study, and ponder this decision, so that it becomes their own, and they know without a doubt whom they believe in, and why. They have grown up in the church, hearing the stories, and knowing that God is an important part of our lives, but I pray that it takes on a personal flavor, and becomes a choice that they will press on towards, live for, and stand for against all else. May they choose this day whom they will serve, and may it be you, Lord, because you are the only way, the truth, and the life!

No comments: