Friday, December 18, 2009

Bell Ringer Blessing

Today's verse: "Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me." Psalm 51:10

I shared a God-sighting last night at the dinner table, and my daughter suggested that it would be great for my blog. I thought it was cool that she knows I blog about my God experiences, and that I am praying for her in this way day by day. So here's my story.

Yesterday I made a quick stop at Fred Meyer and was blessed by an unusual occurrence. Across the parking lot I could hear someone singing at the top of their lungs. As I made my way to the front door I could see that the music was coming from the the Salvation Army bell ringer. Not ashamed of his message, his voice was declaring...

Create in me a clean heart oh God,
And renew a right spirit within me.
Create in me a clean heart oh God,
And renew a right spirit within me.

And cast me not away from Thy presence oh Lord,
And take not Thy Holy Spirit from me.
Restore unto me the joy of Thy salvation,
And renew a right spirit within me.

Written by Keith Green ©Sparrow Records


It was not the usual bell ringer. Nor was it one of the normal Christmas carols. However, I thought it was the perfect song for this season.

Restore unto me the joy of Thy salvation this Christmas, dear Jesus!

Lord, what a beautiful message the bell ringer was unashamedly sharing with the world. You are God, and you can create in us a clean heart, and renew a right spirit within me. I pray it be so, especially in this season. May your presence be always near, reminding me of the joy of your salvation. I pray that somewhere in the celebrations of the season, and in the retelling of the Christmas story, my children will become fully alive in the knowledge and understanding of God's gift in His Son Jesus Christ. May the old story be made new in their hearts. And maybe one day, they will be sharing with the world the good news at the top of their lungs, just like the passionate bell ringer. Oh, may it all be so!

No comments: