Wednesday, December 9, 2009

A Dog Treat for Grizzly

Today’s verse: “Give generously to him and do so without a grudging heart; then because of this the Lord your God will bless you in all your work and in everything you put your hand to.” Deuteronomy 15:10

"The manner of giving is worth more than the gift."
~Pierre Corneille, Le Menteur

I love the times when I watch my children give to others, especially when it was their own idea, and out of their own resources. One of my favorite times was when Kyle was five or six, and he wanted to buy a dog treat for Grizzly. Now Grizzly was a dachshund that lived 8 hours away, at the neighbor’s house next to Grammy and Papa, and we were heading there for Christmas. Granted it was just a dog treat from the dollar store, but it was his heart that touched me above all, and I believe it blessed Grizzly’s family too.

Giving and sharing doesn’t always come naturally, but I’m praying that this Christmas I will see my children going above and beyond in the department of giving generously. It doesn’t have to be elaborate gifts, and using money that they don’t have, I just want it to be something from their heart.

Maybe it’s a good lesson for us all to remember. Giving is worth more than the gift.

Lord, oh I love this season of giving and celebration. Thank you for sending this world your Son, and giving us the gift of hope, love, and forgiveness. Like Mary, may we take time to ponder all these things in our hearts. Help my children really grasp the true meaning of this season, and take hold of your precious gift, and live their lives centered on you. Out of your presence in their lives, I pray that they find great joy in giving generously to others. May their hearts prod them to give to those that are in need, or to those they appreciate and love. May their focus this year, not be on what they may get from others, but what they can be giving. Lord, you are the ultimate gift giver and we delight in your love and blessing.

No comments: