Monday, October 8, 2012

Law Abiding Citizens

"Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities..."  Romans 13:1


In less than a month my baby boy is turning 16.  How time flies.  Kyle is waiting with bated-breath for his big day, for one main reason:

He can drive after dark.

We've had many "discussions" about the fairness of us following the law of our state that says those under 16 cannot drive before sunrise and after sunset.  With each day getting shorter and shorter this rule gets harder and harder to obey.

We've heard many points in this debate...
I won't get caught.
Other parents don't care if their kid drives after dark.
I'll be 16 in less than a month.

I am trying to teach my son that following the law and living obedient lives is an important part of who we are as believers and citizens.  We don't always understand the rules but most often they are for our best.  

I'm praying that my kids are always rule followers and law abiders by choice!

Lord, even your Word calls us to obey and submit to governing authorities.  I pray that obedience marks Alyssa and Kyle's lives whether it be by obeying your Word, hearing your voice lead them, or obeying the laws of the land.  Often our human nature is to buck and battle when there are limits or boundaries placed on us, but you call us to live obedient and self-sacrificing lives. Often being a rule-follower is the harder thing, but I pray that Alyssa and Kyle always choose submission, obedience, and compliance.  Father, soften their wills and make them tender towards you and your call on their lives.  May they be wholly obedient to you!
 

 

No comments: