Tuesday, October 30, 2012

A Flogging

"When he does wrong, I will punish him with the rod of men,with floggings inflicted by men.  But my love will never be taken away from him."  2 Samuel 7:14
 
 
No, this isn't a serious blog about "flogging".  HA!  However I wondered as I read the above scripture, if "flogging" is ever an appropriate form of dicipline for parents to use these days?  If so, what would a "flogging" look like? 

Tar and feathers?

A pillow womping?

The dictionary defines flogging as a bit more harsh...To beat severely with a whip or rod.

I don't want to beat my kids, be rest assured, but I do want them to recognize when they are in the wrong.  Sometimes that will mean living with the consequences of their actions and decisions.  Sometimes it will mean the Holy Spirit's still small voice speaking into their hearts, moving and bending them in the right directions.

Oh may it be so.

And we can rejoice and be thankful that God's love will never change for us.

Oh precious Father, thank you for loving Alyssa and Kyle (and myself) no matter the wrongdoing in their lives.  I am blessed that you don't flog your children for all that they do that is not according to your will and plan.  However, you discipline those you love.  Holy Spirit, please convict, bend, teach, and move Alyssa and Kyle's hearts and minds so that they reflect you living in them.  Thank you, Lord, that your love will never be taken away!
 

No comments: