Monday, February 7, 2011

Scaling Those Walls

"With your help I can advance against a troop; with my God I can scale a wall.” 2 Samuel 22:30


“With my God I can scale a wall!”
           
                  “With my God I can scale a wall!”

“With my God I can scale a wall!”

Sometimes I need to drill that "mantra" into my head.  There are days when the walls seem so monstrous.

God gave me this verse on a particular day a couple of years ago, when He knew that I would need the assurance that I could do whatever He called me to do. I love it when His Word speaks in such powerful and personal ways. Ken was away in Morocco for 11 days, and I was left to hold down the fort here at home. The single parenting ended up being the easy part of what God had in store for me while he was gone. While he was away, our church family faced 2 family members dying, and I was asked to go pray with them in their final moments of life. I’d never even gone with Ken on these calls before, to see what to do and say, and here I was being sent out to be a minister to these people in their greatest time of need. Fear coursed through me, as I worried about my inadequacy and inexperience. Then I was reminded that “with my God I can scale a wall.” Repeating that verse, over and over again all the way to the hospital gave me the courage to face my fears and allow God to help me accomplish what I couldn’t do on my own. At the close of each visit, I felt like I had scaled a wall.

I don’t know what “walls” my kids will have to face today as they head to school, but I know that God is with them, helping them climb to the top. Where tasks are too hard, I pray that God gives them the tenacity to work it through and find success. If their friendships seem to hit a detour, I pray that God is with them, filling them with wisdom, peace, and strength. Or when fear creeps into their hearts, I pray that they are reminded that with God, they can do all things.

Scaling walls is hard work, but with God, all things are possible! Grab a hold of Him, dear ones, and depend on His safety and strength to get you to the top of the wall.


Lord, with you we can scale walls. What a promise to hold onto when the walls seem too high or too hard! Your Word is full of reminders of your faithfulness, your help, and your strength. I pray that my children know the reality of those truths in their lives, and have learned that with you all things are possible. Remind them that they can do all things through you who gives them strength. Lord, when they are aware of the walls before them, may they know whom to look to for help, and may they sense your presence near them in real and precious ways. Lord, speak reassurances into their hearts, ears and minds, that remind them of your love, your help, and your peace. Teach them that they can scale any wall with you by their side. No wall is impossible to scale with you as the guide!


No comments: