Wednesday, February 16, 2011

A New Thing


 Forget the former things;
   do not dwell on the past. 
See, I am doing a new thing!
 --Isaiah 43:18

What has been true in the past, won't necessarily be true in the future.  Except God.  He is the same today as He was yesterday, and will be tomorrow. 

I laugh because sometimes I can't talk my kids into trying things a second time, because they didn't like it before. For instance, I try to convince them that just because they didn't like green beans before, doesn't mean that they might not like them now.  They don't believe me. 

Or my kids decide that tylenol never works, because it failed to help the first time.

Sometimes I try to convince them that people can change too.  One day their friends might not be kind and thoughtful, but given a second chance, maybe they will be different. 

Change is inevitable, and is often a part of God's M.O.  Sometimes we need to be willing to set aside what we know to be "true", or our preferences and expectations, and "forget the past".  Sometimes embracing life's changes will take little moments of decision and bravery (yeah, I'll try a green bean!), and other times it'll take God doing some major work on our hearts.  

I just want Alyssa and Kyle to be open to whatever God has in store for their lives.  His truths, and His plans, hold such promise and joy!

I want to see God do a "new thing", don't you?! 

O Lord, my Lord, what a joy it is to know that you're at work in Alyssa and Kyle's life.  Change their hearts, and make them bold, to go and do whatever you call them to do.  Help them to forget the former things, and not dwell on the past, but live in the excitement and thrill of the new thing you want to do in their lives if they are willing and available.  You have wonderful plans for both Alyssa and Kyle, and you've created them to display your glory.  May their hearts choose to live in the center of your plan, and in great confidence of your guidance in their lives.  Oh Lord, I watch in awe and wonder at you doing a new thing in Alyssa and Kyle!

No comments: