Friday, February 4, 2011

Cheeseburger Soup

"I am not commanding you, but I want to test the sincerity of your love by comparing it with the earnestness of others. For you know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that though he was rich, yet for your sakes he became poor, so that you through his poverty might become rich"  2 Corinthians 8:8-9


As a mom, I am often trying to find ways to show my kids that I love them.  However, sometimes what I think shows love really isn't the "ticket" in my kids mind.  So, a couple of nights ago I made a special (and new) soup for dinner.  It was a new recipe, but I thought with a name like "Cheeseburger Soup" how could my daughter not feel loved?   She LOVES cheeseburgers.

So, I browned, chopped, sliced, diced, and grated my way into this gift of love.

Through this I am reminded to pray that my children learn to show love to others too. I want them to find joy in going to the effort and work of finding ways to show love to the people in their lives.  In turn, those individuals, whether it be their sibling, spouse, parent or friend, will feel utterly blessed and give God thanks for such joy those acts or words of love bring.

Showing love, shows God, to those in our lives.

Well, in case you wanted to know, the soup just went over so-so.  My family all said I could make it again, but it wasn't their favorite.  I pray they still know how much I love them.

Lord, you call your children to love one another.  I pray that Alyssa and Kyle love one others, just as you love them.  You are love, and we can love others because you live in us.  Urge my children to love others deeply, in turn be your hands, arms and feet.  Remind them to love others better than they love themselves.  May they not hold on to their love and act stingy in how they give it to the people you place in their lives.  If a lack of trust, or an abundance of fear keeps them from healthy, loving relationships, intervene on their behalf, and show them how to live like you want them to live.  May love mark their words, their actions, their relationships, and their life in you, dear Jesus!

No comments: