Saturday, May 1, 2010

No Surpise Gifts!

Happy Birthday, Alyssa...2007

"For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord." Romans 6:23

Birthday's are great fun around here! Of course, I get frustrated as a mom because I never can come up with the "greatest gift of all", all by myself. Often the kids state an idea for the one thing that would bring them the most happiness. However, if I think of something all on my own that could be awesome, somehow the birthday person ends up suggesting it as a gift idea before the big day arrives. I can never win.

Every year the birthday person knows what they are getting from me. Somehow I need to break this cycle. What fun is it knowing your gift before you get it?

The one gift I really want my kids to know about, is God's gift of eternal life. I pray that they experience the wonderful joy of accepting that gift, and living in the blessed "ownership" of His salvation. It will be the gift that keeps on giving, and day by day they will reap the benefits of peace, hope, joy, love, guidance, and wisdom. Now that is the "greatest gift of all".

This week someone in our household turns 16! Wowza. Is that really possible?

The gift is already bought. Will it be a grand surprise? Probably not.

Lord, you offer us the greatest gift of all...eternal life. It's a free gift, and once we accept it, our lives are changed forever. I pray, dear Jesus, that our children realize what a great gift it is that you are offering them, and they open their hands and hearts wide, and live in the joy of such a precious treasure. May they understand the value that life in you holds. Lord, thank you for giving eternal life to this lost world. May our children, always live as your children, living in the peace that life with you brings. I love you, Heavenly Father. Thank you for the life I have in you!

No comments: