Friday, April 30, 2010

If You Drop Your Shorts

"Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves. Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others." Philippians 2:3-4

Alyssa & Kyle...2005

A couple of days ago Alyssa wanted me to take her to Kohl's so she could get a couple of new shirts. As I was sitting on the benches in the dressing room area, waiting for her to try on her hopeful finds, I was enjoying watching all the people milling around. Soon I saw two teenage girlfriends hanging out, perusing the racks, and having a good time. As one of them bumped into full rack of shorts, a pair fell to the floor. And what did they do? Nothing. They each looked at the item of clothing on the floor, kicked it to the side, and then walked off.

If they had not noticed the accidental drop, I don't think I would have given it a second thought. However, these girls were fully aware of what they had done. Why, oh why, out of consideration of someone else and their job, or because it was not their belonging, and they were responsible for the dropped item, would they not take a moment to pick the shorts up and put them back on the rack?

By golly, think of someone else first.
Use your manners.
Be kind and considerate.
Show respect.
Go above and beyond what you "have" to do.

As a mom, I am probably absent from my kids, more than I am present with them....especially as they get older and have more and more activities without me. In fact, they are both out of town this weekend having some fun. And while they are away from me, I pray that they remember the things that I've tried to teach them.

Think of someone else first.
Use your manners.
Be kind and considerate.
Show respect.
Go above and beyond what you "have" to do.

If you drop your shorts, pick 'em up! (In more ways than one.)


Lord, our selfish desires sometimes rage war within us, and all we can do is think of ourselves. Our minds can sometimes forget to look to the interest of others. We forget common courtesies, polite manners, and things that put others first. Christ sacrificed for us, and in turn we should reflect Him to the world. I pray that my kids always remember to say "please" and "thank you", to pick up the messes that they make, and to give above and beyond what is expected. I pray that they will always show respect to people who serve them, to other people's property, and to the feelings of others. May selfishness be replaced with kindness, sacrifice, and giving. Lord, shine in and through my children's lives, that the world around them may see you in beautiful ways.

No comments: