Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Easter Basket Blessing


"But who am I, and who are my people, that we should be able to give as generously as this? Everything comes from you, and we have given you only what comes from your hand."  2 Chronicles 29:14

We had a beautiful Easter on Sunday.  What joy it was to celebrate the resurrection of our Savior!  Even better than that, was spending the morning worshiping with our church family.  There is no better place to be, and no higher calling on the most important Sabbath of the year!  And ham and deviled eggs with friends after wards?!  Yahoo.  It was one sweet day for sure!

Speaking of a sweet day, I was spoiled with delicious basket of goodies. The picture doesn't do this gift justice, because it obviously had been "hit" already!  However this beautiful basket came with a cute story.

Between our two church services, we have a cookie and coffee fellowship time.  It's a fun time to catch up with other members of our church family.  I was milling around wishing friends a "Happy Easter", when I happened to notice two little girls checking something out on the mail table.  This is where Secret Sisters leave gifts, and so there were lots of Easter goodies awaiting pick-up.  These girls, dressed in their very best Easter outfits, were shaking, poking and prodding, obviously in intense conversation about something amazing.  So I thought I would make my way over there and check out what they were up to.  When I got there, I found them sifting through this beautiful basket of goodies, full of decorated sugar cookies, chocolates, rice crispy treats and such.  My eyes then happened to take note that there was a card  with our  family's name on it

At first I did a little oohing and aahing, and their excitement built, to the point where I exclaimed that I think this beautiful basket was for me!  How lucky am I?!  One of the little girls looked at me with big eyes and asked if I would share with them, and I teasingly said, "No way, Jose!"  She then looked at me with a deeply serious expression and said in her biggest adult-like voice "God says we should share!"

I laughed.  Yes, I guess He does.  Of course, later my daughter thought that I should have responded back with "Yes, but God also says we shouldn't steal!" 

A cute little girl, wanted to remind me of a very big lesson.  God desires that His children give generously to others.  I know that I am richly blessed by the abundant generosity shown to my family, not just today but often, and out of my heart of thanksgiving I desire to go out and do likewise.  At the same time, I pray that my children are watching the joy that comes to someone's life as a result of giving, sharing, and generosity. 

Oh to be a blessing in someone's life!

Lord, you are the best gift giver ever, and you shower your children with wonderful blessings.  What a delight it is to be the beneficiary of your great treasure.  I pray that I reflect you, as I in turn give to others out of my blessing.  Lord, instill into my children's hearts the urge to be cheerful givers as well, and are always generous to share with others out of their own abundance.  May they never choose to steal what belongs to someone else, but live satisfied with what they are given.  Giving reflects a heart that is content, happy, and centered on the right things.  Lord, help our children to not focus on themselves, and what is owed to them, but fix their eyes on what may be of encouragement and help to others around them.  May we always reflect you, dear Jesus, by having a generous and giving heart.

No comments: