Thursday, April 1, 2010

Thankful Thursday: God at Work

 Sister & Brother--Fall 2008

Today's verse:  "Being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus."  Philippians 1:6

I just want to give God thanks for a few of the times I recognized His presence in the last week.
  • Kyle had a big report due last week, and he turned it in 2 days early!  Way to go, son!
  • Report cards came out, and student-led conferences held, before spring break began.  Between our two kids they had 13 A's and 1 B. 
  • Kyle had 2 days of baseball camp in the bitter cold weather this week.  Even when it was snowing, there never was a complaint about heading out to the field.  The God-thing?  As soon as he arrived at the field the snow stopped, and by the end of practice there was even a bit of sunshine.  
  •  Alyssa's church volleyball team started up practices again this week, and I love seeing her excited about that opportunity.  She loves volleyball!
  • Yesterday, Alyssa's group of church friends all met at Red Robin for lunch together.  Watching them all meet up and walk in the front door, made me stop and give God thanks for such a wonderful bunch of kids, and that they enjoy spending an afternoon together.  Some of them have grown up together since they were babies, and it was a profound moment to think that they were now at the age where they could hang out, and pay for their own lunch without any adult supervision.  Wowza.
  • As we were heading towards Red Robin yesterday, I was giving Alyssa a mom-chat before I dropped her off.  How to behave in the restaurant, what to pay for a tip, and then all the things I needed her to remember when she got in the car of a friend who drives (So not ready for that!).  And my kids began to exclaim that I was one of those "worry" and "careful" moms.  As I began to gasp in a hurt response, my son piped up to say, "But that's good, Mom. We like that."  Made...my...day.
There's probably more, but I'll stop here!  I love watching God at work in my kid's lives, and therefore in my life.  He is living and active, and doing beautiful things!

Lord, thank you for continuing to carry out to completion the work that you are doing in our lives.  Thank you for blessing our home with two wonderful children.  Some days I am amazed that they are seeming to be so grown up.  Before I know it they will be heading out the door on their own, and I will be wondering if I did a good enough job teaching them about how to be successful adults.  What peace comes when I realize that you will always be with them!  Thank you for being an active participant in our lives.  I pray that even today, my kids will see you for themselves, and that we will all stop and give you thanks!  God, you are our precious God, and we love you!

No comments: