Monday, April 12, 2010

Go for the "A"!

Today’s verse: “Servants, do what you're told by your earthly masters. And don't just do the minimum that will get you by. Do your best. Work from the heart for your real Master, for God, confident that you'll get paid in full when you come into your inheritance. Keep in mind always that the ultimate Master you're serving is Christ. The sullen servant who does shoddy work will be held responsible. Being a follower of Jesus doesn't cover up bad work.” Colossians 3:22-25 (The Message)

 
One of my funniest memories of Alyssa in the fourth grade was when she came home from school with her first week of spelling homework. She announces to me that she can do three assignments if she wants an “A” in spelling, or two assignments if she wants a “B”, and last but not least, if she does one assignment she could get a “C”. And she then proceeds to tell me, “Mom, I’m satisfied with a ‘C’, so I’m only going to do one of my assignments.” I about fell off my chair. I was sure to go have a talk with her teacher to confirm if this was exactly what she said, but I also had a chat with my daughter about doing her absolute best at all times.

I like how “The Message” says it in Colossians, “Don’t just do the minimum that will get you by. Do your best.” Though homework and schoolwork is of top priority in this department, I pray that my kids live by this philosophy in all that they do. When they clean their rooms, study for Bible Quizzing, mow the lawn, build friendships, play sports, and serve in the church. I hope and pray that they keep in mind WHO they are really serving, and work at it with all that they are. No second-bests. No procrastination. No mediocre-ness. “Work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men,” (Colossians 3:23 NIV)

No “C”s in life, when the “A” is within your power to reach, dear ones.

Precious Lord, thank you for my kids, and thank you for their ability to learn, think, and work hard. I pray that they always apply themselves to the fullest in all that they do. In school, I pray that they work hard to do their best work. Not to earn the perfect “A” grade, but so that they have a sense of doing the best that they can. In the church, or in serving others, I pray that each of my children will work from the heart, knowing they are doing it as an act of worship to You. Remove their laziness, timidity, and contentment to be just “okay”, but instill in them a passion to live in ways that shine You living in their lives. I pray that in all that my kids do, they glorify you, dear Jesus, using their gifts, talents and abilities, in the way you’ve designed them to be. 

(Reprint from October 12, 2009  )  I thought this was a good reprise since our kids are heading back to school today after a 2-week spring break!  I'm praying that they have a wonderful start to the last quarter of the school year!

No comments: