Thursday, October 22, 2009

Thankful Thursday: The Family of God

Part of our Church family..."Girls on the Rock" Luau...2008

Today’s verse: “And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching.” Hebrews 10:24-25

As I thought about what I’m thankful for today, my mind immediately jumped to the big role our church plays in my life, and the life of our family. The list of blessings is long, and I just want to be faithful to give God thanks.
  • When my children were little, our weekly Mom’s play group, was the one thing that helped me survive week-to-week. Friendships were built and I often gained wisdom and encouragement from the other moms.
  • Women’s Bible Study came along and the relationships I have built there have been a treasure. Our times together in His Word have brought much encouragement, and has helped me grow deeper in my spiritual walk. I have drawn closer to God, and have learned to lean heavily on Him when parenting is a challenge. I couldn’t do it without God by my side!
  • From their first Sunday school classes, Alyssa and Kyle have been taught that Jesus loves them! Seeds have been planted in their hearts to follow Jesus with their lives from the first moment they entered the nursery. Story by story, and verse by verse, they’ve been taught the most important lessons of life.
  • Now today, Alyssa and Kyle have amazing youth leaders, who continue to teach them, guide them, and encourage them in their walks with the Lord. These leaders have such a powerful influence on my kids, and show them love in so many ways. I know that my kid’s lives are better off for having these special people walking beside them.
  • Being pastor’s kids is not always an easy thing to be, but our church loves and supports our kids in many precious ways. I remember years where there were special Pastor Appreciation gifts, or Christmas gifts, just for Alyssa and Kyle. They were reminded of how much the church body prayed for them, and loved having them as part of the church. I’m thankful for the many people who take the time to pray for my kids, talk to them, and invest time in them.
  • This summer our church gave our family 12 weeks off to enjoy some uninterrupted time together. Though we missed them greatly, our family was left with many memories we will hold onto for a lifetime, and feel much more rested and able to be effective in our ministry.
  • Our church loves us, accepts us, forgives us, and prods us to draw closer to God. What a beautiful family!
Parenting would be so much harder without the support of the people in my church. They spur me on in so many ways. What a gift to give God thanks for today!

Lord, you have blessed our family abundantly with a precious church family. What a gift it is to have been in this church for the last 15 years. They have walked with us, in this journey as parents, since our children were born. I’m thankful that they pray for us, encourage us, and help us draw closer to Him. I’m thankful that there are so many people a part of “growing up my children in the way they should go”, and leading them into a lifelong relationship with Jesus. They have been faithful seed-planters! Lord, help my children fall in love with the church, and stay connected with other believers, for the rest of their life. As they grow up, may they be reminded of all the blessings there are being connected to a church family.

No comments: