Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Investing in Family

Today’s verse: “The LORD your God will circumcise your hearts and the hearts of your descendants, so that you may love him with all your heart and with all your soul, and live.” Deuteronomy 30:6

Piersall/Hibbs Family Reunion 2002--
I think I can count 6 family members who have gone to
be with the Lord since this picture was taken.


Yesterday we went to a family funeral. My mother’s cousin passed away last week and we went to join in the celebration of his life. It was a beautiful tribute to a man who loved Jesus! There is much sadness for a life that has ended too soon, but all in all his family and friends celebrated a life well lived and a much awaited heavenly home-going. Oh, to be singing with the angels in heaven!

I was reminded today of how precious family is, and how easy it is to let time pass and busy schedules overtake life, that we don’t invest in the things that are truly important. There were many family members there today that I’ve seen only once or twice in the last 20 years, and some I see only when a family wedding or funeral comes around. Even some who live only thirty minutes away. Family is a gift that we sometimes take for granted. And soon they are gone before we even know it.

I pray that my kids become investors in family relationships, and that they realize the importance of the people God has placed in their lives. They have a rich heritage of faith that deserves to be treasured, protected, and pursued…no matter the work, the cost, or the effort it takes.

Families are God’s gift to us, and I thank Him for mine today.

Lord, what a heritage of faithful believers you have blessed my children with. I don’t know that I understood what a precious gift I had until I was older. Thank you for great-grandparents, grandparents, parents, aunts and uncles, and cousins who love/loved the Lord. I pray that my kids realize what a treasure they have, and they find relationships within our family that encourages them in their faith, that bring them joy, and fills them with an abundant love. And in turn, may they become benefactors of forgiveness, laughter, and love, and instigators of building relationships. Life is more beautiful with family members that love and serve you, and I give you thanks for the gift they are in my life.

No comments: