Monday, October 19, 2009

Avoiding the Comparison Game


Today’s verse: “Make a careful exploration of who you are and the work you have been given, and then sink yourself into that. Don't be impressed with yourself. Don't compare yourself with others. Each of you must take responsibility for doing the creative best you can with your own life.” Galatians 6:4-5 (The Message)

Another school week begins. My kids just finished their fall break and have enjoyed the last week off of school. Now we are heading back into the weekly grind of getting up early, going to school, and the onslaught of homework. Ready or not, here we come.

There can be a lot of pressure for kids at school. They face a wide range of pressures: to have the best grades, wear the coolest clothes, have the best gadget, be the most popular friend, or even earn the “student of the month” before anyone else does. Striving, pushing, worrying, comparing. All on a daily basis.

Even though God created us each with particular strengths, it’s all too easy to instead focus on our weaknesses, and to wish we had someone else’s giftedness. I love the reminder of the scripture I have chosen today. Paraphrased in my own words… “Don’t play the comparison game, just do your best.”

I pray that as my kids head out the door for another week of school, that they find joy in who God has created them to be, and that they take pleasure in their God-given strengths. I pray that they find contentment in who they are rather than focusing on comparisons. I hope they find the confidence to believe in themselves, recognize and celebrate their strengths, and at the same time have the courage to rejoice in someone else’s differences.

Go out and be the best that YOU can be, my dear ones!

Lord Jesus, thank you for my precious kid, and the way you have beautifully made them. Thank you for their areas of strength and giftedness, and the way that you’ve made each one unique and special. I even rejoice in their areas of weakness because that is where they will be caused to look to you for power, strength and the help to change or improve themselves. I pray that they rejoice in who you have created them, celebrate their differences, and go out in the world and be the best that they can be. Lord, I give you praise because they are fearfully and wonderfully made!

No comments: