Friday, October 2, 2009

The Staple of Sweet Communion

Tresa, Dad, and Christine having prayer before bed

Today’s Verse:Yet give attention to your servant's prayer and his plea for mercy, O LORD my God. Hear the cry and the prayer that your servant is praying in your presence this day.” 1 King 8:28

This picture brings back lots of memories. Evening prayers with my Dad. When we were younger, my sister and I would sit in the living room, and listen to my Dad read us a Bible story, and then we would pray before we went to bed. I don’t remember when the nightly prayers ceased, but even as I grew older, I recall always getting ready for bed and calling my Dad to come and pray with me. Precious moments at the close of every day.

Prayer is something that comes easier with practice and effort. It’s been a journey for me of learning how to center down and have a conversation with God. I was always good at praying when times were tough or if I was experiencing trials. But a harder challenge for me has been learning to lift up others and to spend time meditating without being prompted by pressure or problems.

I pray that my kids begin to learn how to pray now when they are still young. My desire is that prayer becomes an intricate part of their lives, in the bad times, but even better yet, in the good times. Prayer is such a vital part of our relationship with God, and is a necessity if we want to draw closer to Him and learn to trust Him.

May their conversations with the Lord be sweet.
May they come to Him, morning, noon and night.
May they hear His voice speak to them in precious ways.
May they sense His guiding, His wisdom, and His deep, abiding love!

May prayer be a staple of their lives!

Precious Lord, this is one of my deepest prayers for my children. Become their best Friend. Reach the depths of the heart and speak to them in precious ways. Make their hearts tender to your presence, and help them focus their minds on you. When they find themselves lonely, may they seek your presence. And when they find themselves anxious, may it be You that they lean on for peace and answers. As they make decisions about their lives, I hope they look to you for guidance and answers. May they learn to converse with You, Lord, as their friend, and may prayer become a staple in their lives. Prayer is sweet communion with You, may they find the rewards of opening their hearts to You!

No comments: