Saturday, October 17, 2009

Making it their Own

Today’s verse: “Though you have not seen him, you love him; and even though you do not see him now, you believe in him and are filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy, for you are receiving the goal of your faith, the salvation of your souls.” 1 Peter 1:8-9

Mother's Day 1994

Alyssa was born on a Thursday, and in church on the very next Sunday. She was three days old, and it was Mother’s Day. What a way to celebrate my first official Mother’s Day as a mom! To top it off, my own mom, now a Grammy, was there too! What fun we had on Alyssa’s first Sunday in church.

Kyle was born on a Tuesday, and in church on the very next Sunday. He was five days old and got to experience his first of many Sundays in church. That day was a blur, but I’m sure it was one of celebration as well.

My kids haven’t missed many Sundays of church since they were born. It’s tough when you’re the Pastor’s kid. Church is just a “normal” thing in their lives. It’s never a question as to whether or not we are going to church on Sunday morning, or where we are going to church. Church just is.

As we took a 12-week sabbatical from our church this summer, I realized that my children love their church just as much as their parents do. I’m so thankful that my kids don’t find it a drudgery to go to church every Sunday. Sure, their biggest reason for loving church right now might be their friends, but they are also instilling in their lives a habit of worshipping God on Sundays, and know the importance of church in our lives.

One day, my kids will leave home and have to face the decision themselves as to whether or not church is an important thing to be a part of and attend on Sunday mornings. They will also have to choose for themselves whether or not they will use their gifts and minister in that church, or just be bystanders. And even more importantly, one day soon, they will have to choose whether or not to follow God with all their heart. Not because their parents do, but because they believe in Him themselves. They will have to choose faith for themselves.

And just because they are “PK’s”, and have grown up in the church, doesn’t mean they will walk down the same path as their parents. But, oh how I pray so.

Lord, I pray that my children fall in love with you and follow you all the days of their lives. I pray that they work out their salvation, and that it becomes their own in precious ways. They have grown up in church, and have heard You Word since they were just days old, and I pray that those seeds that have been planted in their hearts grow into deep roots, and a firm foundation, in You. I pray that they believe you, Lord, with all that they are, and choose to serve you all the days of their lives. Take what they have heard as children, and make it alive and active in their lives today, and as they become adults. May they choose today whom they will serve…and may it be You!

No comments: